Thermal covers, commonly called bubble covers, are designed to utilise the sun’s rays to gradually warm the entire pool. These covers float on the surface of the water, bubble side down, and are trimmed to fit all pool sizes and shapes.
When used correctly, they have several benefits:
- Heat retention – for heated pools, a thermal cover is the most effective way to prevent heat loss into the atmosphere. It also protects against overnight drops in temperature, and solar panels and heat pumps are notably more effective.
- A longer swimming season – water temperature is 6 to 8° C warmer which extends the season. Temperate water makes for a more enjoyable summer/peak swimming season too.
- Reduces evaporation – because they are in direct contact with the water, thermal covers reduce evaporation by 98%+.
- Convenience – the cover forms a barrier to avoid dirt and debris collecting in the water so the water is kept cleaner and pool maintenance is reduced.
- Environmental benefits – thermal covers reduce the carbon footprint of the swimming pool by using less energy to heat and clean the pool. The cover is water-wise too, given the resultant and significant reduction in evaporation. Chlorine dissipates in sunlight but with a thermal cover, such greenhouse gas emissions are reduced too.
- Financial – noteworthy household savings are made on power, chemicals and water.
Wind protection ensures that the cover does not lift, something that can damage both the cover and pool surrounds. Click here to learn more about Wind Protection devices.
Types of pools covered
Our range of thermal covers can be used on a variety of pool types, including indoor, heated, Olympic-sized, commercial (gyms, schools) and shaped pools. Refer to table below for specific suitability.
|Pool Shapes/Varieties||Thermal Cover Suitability|
|Heated indoor pools||Yes – assists in reducing moisture build up/condensation in pool area/surrounds|
|Outdoor heated pools||Yes|
|Pools in windy areas||Yes, covers can be made secure with the addition of wind protection|
|Shaped pools||Yes, can be manufactured to any size. Trimmed on site to ensure a perfect fit|
|School pools and gyms||Yes, can be fitted to single lanes or across multiple lanes|
|Olympic and Water Polo pools||Yes, can be fitted to single lanes or across multiple lanes|
Types of Thermal Covers
We have a variety of thermal covers to suit different types of pools and individual requirements. The thermals range, ranked in order of heating properties, includes:
EnergyGuard is a high performance GeoBubble cover suited to the eco-conscious pool owner who wants to lessen the environmental impact of their pool...read more
Sol+Guard—high performance heating cover for pool owners wishing to increase their pool water temperature, the Sol+Guard pool cover is one of the most …read more
The Thermal GeoBubble Cover is designed to utilise the sun’s rays to gradually warm the entire pool using solar energy only. It floats on the surface of...read more
PowerDome is the most affordable way to simulate an indoor pool area or spa/Jacuzzi, eliminating the need to build an enclosing structure or conservatory to keep the ambient air warm and comfortable and to shield the water from the cooling effects of wind and rain. In cooler weather and at night, you’ll no longer feel the nip of the surrounding air - it will completely revolutionize the way you use your outdoor spas/Jacuzzis and pools.read more
School and commercial pool owners are among our biggest customers given the scope of savings and other operational benefits associated with thermal covers for large outdoor pools, heated pools and pools with high levels of traffic. A thermal pool cover maximises water, power and chemical savings, shrinking the overall footprint of the pool and reducing maintenance costs for the pool manager. Numerous swimming professionals and water sport athletes favour a covered training pool for the more stable water temperatures. The improved water hygiene and lower levels of chlorine also make for a less harsh training environment.read more